Exciting news guys! I’m going to be hosting a family-friendly sustainable living retreat this March in Costa Rica! Where you can learn about living a vegan/fruitarian lifestyle, mind-body connection, natural mindful living, sustainable food systems, and more! Taking place on a gorgeous permaculture farm in the beautiful rainforest of Mastatal Costa Rica. And with one of my favorite earth activists, Elizabeth Clouse. We’re both very much looking forward to this! Oh, and Marlowe too– she’s super excited 🙂
Heal Yourself, Heal The World.
I’ve given this whole retreat thing A LOT of thought. I just want to be sure that I’m using my time (and your time) in the best way possible. I keep feeling like I want to share something (or a lot of things) with you guys where you could and can truly step away feeling an empowered sense of knowledge and growth. And if you have kids– or if you plan to have kids– or even if you just ever want to influence future generations at all, that you could step into this retreat and be handed massive tools to make everyday changes to a better life and planet. For yourself– and for all children of this planet.
While I do that in smaller doses on this blog, there is something to be said about doing something hands-on and living in an experience rather than reading about it online. You guys know, I love textiles, cultures, exploring new locations– and I certainly hope to do more cultural based retreats in the future. But for this retreat, I really wanted to create a trip revolving around nature, the planet, healing, real natural food, self-love, and growth. Where your questions on health, fruitful eating, connections, minimalism, conscious parenting, and mindful living could not only be answered in person, but also by living it through the week. This is it. And it’s going to be amazing. We’ll all be staying on a beautiful permaculture farm, learning about growing food, preparing food, eating food, and so much more.
And while every single lesson won’t be specifically child-focused, it will be child-friendly. So you can be sure you’ll be set up for a really amazing, one of a kind educational and nature-based experience whether you come alone, with a partner, or the whole family. All are welcome. The priority is a desire to educate, grow, and connect.
During this 7 day retreat…
We will explore living in community and regenerative living. Connecting back to our humanity, within ourselves and with each other and how to live in a way that regenerates this beautiful, one of a kind Earth. Healing ourselves and the planet. Because they are both undeniably connected. This will be an inspiring and magical week of nature-based learning, connecting, healing, and demonstrating sustainable living through our actions. You will leave feeling empowered with tools to effectively change the world, unforgettable memories, and lifelong friends.
We want to help show you guys that healing the mind, body, and soul is possible. By healing our minds & bodies and re-thinking social conditioning, we can truly change the world.
Ohdeardrea x Eco Warrier Sustainable Living Retreat
March 22 – 29, 2020
What will you gain from this retreat?
- Empowerment to take action on issues that matter to you
- Lessons in holistic & optimal health (mind, body, soul) healing
- Tools to create social change for yourself and all living things
- Hands-on experience in true sustainable & regenerative living
- Ability to tune into creative self
- Introduction to rewilding and unconditioning
- Unplugged quiet time
- Immersion in nature
- Lifelong human connections
- Daily yoga + kids yoga
- Tropical fruit tasting
- Growing and harvesting food
- Cooking large group plant-based meals
- Nature time
- Community building exercises
- Creating art /self-expression for growth and body connection
- Workshops & lessons in sustainable and regenerative living
Workshop & lesson topics will include:
- Alternative living
- Plant-based nutrition & healing with food
- Community building
- Farm to table food systems
- The importance of eating food for a thriving microbiome & a good mood
- Off-grid living
- Vegan & conscious parenting
- Social change
- Privilege, oppression, & social justice
- Sense of place
- Yoga & mind-body connection
- How to incorporate into the real world
- Hiking in La Cangreja National Park
- Access to 5+ waterfalls
- Tour and lunch at sustainability education center Rancho Mastatal
- Chocolate making at La Iguana Chocolate
The Location: About Villas Mastatal
Villas Mastatal is a permaculture farm and eco-lodge located in the small community of Mastatal in the beautiful Central Valley of Costa Rica. The 50-hectare property has been owned and managed by the same Costa Rican family for over 50 years. In that time, they have planted thousands of trees, established a thriving food forest from which they can sustain themselves and guests of the farm, and hosted hundreds of groups of international students.
The property features beautiful and varying accommodations for guests, a well-equipped kitchen and long dining table for community gatherings, a large yoga deck with a stunning view, a wood fire oven, a waterfall on the property, and plenty of hammocks for everyone to relax and unwind.
There is so much to do in Mastatal and we are going to take advantage of it all. Mastatal lies at the foot of La Cangreja National Park, a stunning protected landscape boasting 1,000 species of flora, of which 44 are endemic, and 56 species of birds. The many trails of La Cangreja pass by dozens of waterfalls, with the hike to the top of the mountain giving an incredible view of Mastatal, the Central Valley, and the Pacific Coast.
The majority of guests will stay in Dormitorio El Atardeser (the sunset dorm) in a shared bunk room. This structure is open-air and receives a beautiful view of the sunset each night. It is two stories with a large yoga space on the top floor as well as hammocks. There are connected bathrooms and showers as well as beautiful outdoor showers.
There are two private wooden bungalow rooms available on a first-come-first-serve basis. Therefore, we recommend reserving these options as soon as possible. These bungalows are recommended for families or people who prefer to have their own private space. Each bungalow can fit one double bed & one single bed.
You guys know that food is my passion– that healthy living starts with a healthy gut. Our food choices affect not only ourselves but our planet and all the people living on it. For that reason, you guys will be able to experience first hand what delicious, nourishing, and earth-friendly eating is all about.
Guests will be well fed and fueled with 3 organic whole food plant-based meals per day as well as access to fresh tropical, locally grown fruit whenever wanted. Meals will be Costa Rican inspired with a fruitarian focus and enjoyed in a beautiful communal setting. All meals will be gluten-free and allergy-friendly. We believe in food in abundance and meals will be colorful, balanced, and nourishing. If desired, retreat participants will have the opportunity to help prepare some meals.
- Lodging in a shared dorm
- Transportation to/from San Jose
- Sheets, pillows, blankets, & mosquito nets
- Three organic whole food plant-based meals daily, snacks, and desserts
- Activities & materials
- Daily yoga classes
Additional Add Ons
Private bungalow (limited availability)
Retreat Information, Cost, & Enrollment
March 22- 29, 2020
All participants need to arrive at Villas Mastatal by 6pm on the first day of the retreat (check-in will start at noon) and checkout will be at 11am on the last day of the retreat. You can book a direct ride from San Jose to the farm with us (included in the retreat cost), take the bus (directions here), or drive (directions here). Regardless of your mode of transportation, please let us know how you will be arriving and at what time.
The cost of this all-inclusive retreat (locally grown organic plant-based meals, accommodation, lessons, workshops, activities, and excursions) is $2,000 ($1,500 for under 18). To reserve your spot, we require a nonrefundable deposit of $400 USD and the full amount is due one month before the start of the retreat.
If you notify us at least 30 days before the course commencement, we will refund your course without reservation deposit but will deduct an administration fee of 10%. If you notify us less than 30 days before the course commencement, we cannot provide a refund, but you can send someone else in your place.
Half of the profits are going directly to Javier and Raquelle (the Costa Rican family who owns the farm), with the rest going to different families in the Mastatal community (for field trips and excursions), supplies for activities, and transportation and a small compensation for the other facilitators. The retreat cost is as low as we could keep it while still including worthwhile experiences and activities. We want this retreat to be about genuine community connection, social change, learning, and fun. It’s not at all about the money.
If you have any questions about the retreat, please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
Hooray! I hope you guys are excited! It’s going to be such a wonderful, enlightening, and nature-filled experience. Elizabeth, Marlowe, and I are very much looking forward to this wonderful week! We hope you can make it 🙂
- Limited spots available, we suggest you reserve your spot early.
- All people are welcome, but anyone under 18 must be accompanied by a guardian.
- If you’d like to bring children on this trip, then we encourage you to inquire with any and all questions you may have to determine if your child will be a good fit 🙂 Mindful, nature-loving, somewhat self-sufficient kids are likely to really love this experience. We are absolutely happy to answer your questions, but at the end of the day, you guys know your kid’s best 🙂 Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- The retreat will be in English with translation at times when necessary.
- Partial scholarships are available for Costa Rican residents. Please email email@example.com for more information. Thank you to past volunteers and friends for so many beautiful photos of Mastatal!
- For more photos, videos, and an inside look into the retreat, you can check out the Eco Warrior Retreat Facebook and Instagram as well as the story highlight “retreat” on Elizabeth’s Instagram.
1st & 8th photo taken by celiadluna.com