Remember that play area project for Marlowe that I mentioned on Friday? Well it’s completed and perfect. I am so incredibly pleased with the results. I would love to say: it’s done, homemade with love, by Eric and I, for Marlowe
, and she loves it
. But of course, she doesn’t. She couldn’t care less about the tent. Who am I kidding, the project was for me. This would have been my dream as a child: a bright colorful tent to play, read, and dream in. I made forts constantly; indoors, outdoors, at friends, in my room, under tables, in between trees, wherever I could. To have a tent like this, would have brought me so much joy. Marlowe is only nine (and a half) months old. Who knows what her dreams are and will be… the kid can’t even speak one word yet, but when she does, and she has simple, but brilliant ideas (like colorful play tents in the middle of her room), I will make those dreams and ideas come true. Well, as many as them as I can. &That’s not to say I will give her all the toys in the world, or a pony, or a trampoline on command, but there are things (like play tents) that I can make with little to no money that can bring a child a lot of joy (at least I hope and think simple pleasures still exists in kids). Thats what a mother (and father) does. All those childhood dreams we wished for ourselves, we fulfill for our children. The life my mother wanted she gives to me. The life my father wanted, he gives to me. Now I am giving that life to Marlowe the very best I can, just like my parents do for me. For now, this is my little joyful tent, for Marlowe, for me. Hopefully soon she will realize how sweet this little tent is and how many imaginative adventures one can have hidden underneath a flower-filled tent. I have confidence she will love it, just as I do.
For the structure: Two flat beams in the front. Two in the back. Crossed over each other, with holes (the size of your dowel) drilled through the top cross, and the bottom of each flat beam. Bottom holes should be approximately two inches from the bottom of each. One large dowel, on top, going from the front to the back, placed through snug, drilled holes. And two large dowels on each side of the tent, placed through the bottom drilled holes. To secure the tent from sliding open and flat, there is an extra flat beam added in the back of the tent, with holes on each end to place over the bottom support dowels. To prevent the front of the tent from sliding, there are two small nails at the very top, with a rope tightly wrapped around them, holding the front in place.
For the tent cover: I used a vintage table cloth that I found while pregnant at a consignment store down the street. I had been (impatiently) waiting for the perfect project to use it in my home. I cut it to size, hemming the edges. To hold the cover in place, I opted to sew fabric ties on each corner of the fabric, giving it an even better and softer look. The fabric is placed over the top dowel, and wrapped around each bottom dowel before being tied in place. It even hides the bottom dowels and make creates an extra softness inside the tent, instead of having the wooden dowel exposed!
string to hold the front legs from sliding
a little sewing mishap
an extra back beam
extra dowels along the side, for extra support. nicely hidden away.
I love it.
It was definitely a good weekend. I’m also incredibly pleased to say I was also able to finish some other small handmade gifts and items, along with this bigger project. There was lots of yummy (not so healthy) food and finally some sunny weather. I hope you all also had a wonderful weekend 🙂